All applications for licenses to film in Kenya are processed by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Nairobi. Requests for filming licenses should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
PO Box 30025
Tel: 00254 2 217475/228411/222073
Complete the Film License Application Form
Local filming agents
- Private production companies or individuals are requested to submit their applications
through a local agent registered with the Ministry. This requirement is
mandatory for all applications to make feature films or documentaries.
- Government agencies may submit their applications through the local agents
or through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Deadline for submission of applications
- Applications to make a documentary or a commercial advertisement film must be received at the Ministry at least fourteen (14) days in advance before issuance of a license.
- Applications for a feature film must be submitted at least thirty (30) days in advance.
Documents to be submitted
- Formal letter of application.
- Application form duly completed - copy to be attached.
- List of foreign crew members giving names, nationalities, passport numbers and date of expiry of passports.
- Script and synopsis or storyboard
- List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc.
|Less than 30 minutes
|Over 90 minutes
Liaison Officer's Service Charges
The Ministry charges Ksh.400 per day to cover Liaison Officer's services provided by a Government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew.
- Each visitor is required to pay Ksh.1,500 to the Immigration Department for a special pass before engaging in any film shooting.
- A non-refundable fee of 1% of the value of the equipment is payable to the Customs Department on presentation of a film license.
- The following charges are applied for any filming in a National Park:
The Ministry would like to inform all foreign production companies that Kenya has a considerable number of experienced technical staff
in filming techniques. We therefore recommend that producers should reserve as many places as possible for local crew.
- Ksh.8,000 for five (5) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
- Ksh.12,000 for six (6) - ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
- Ksh.20,000 for more than ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.